- On August 27, 2008
Claimant(s): Alapli Elektrik B.V. (Netherlands)
Respondent: Republic of Turkey
Case Reference: ICSID Case No. ARB/08/13 | Subject Matter: Electricity concession
Outcome: Award | Date of Registration: 27 August 2008 | Date of Award/Settlement: 16 July 2012
Alleged Breach(es): [-] | Breach(es) Found: [-]
Relief Sought: > USD 100 million | Relief Granted: Claims dismissed due to lack of jurisdiction. Decision upheld by ad hoc committee.
Interest Sought: [-] | Interest Granted: [-]
Costs Sought: [-] | Costs Granted: Respondent’s costs
Interim Award(s): [-] | Final Award: [-] | Excerpts: 16 July 2012: Excerpts of Award
Costs and Fees of Arbitrators: [-] | Costs and Fees of Institution: EUR 64,258 | Total Costs and Fees of Arbitrators and Institution: “over USD 1 million”
Arbitral Tribunal: William W. Park (American, Swiss) | Marc Lalonde (Canadian) | Brigitte Stern (French)
Ad hoc Committee: Bernard Hanotiau (Belgian) | Karl-Heinz Böckstiegel (German) | Makhdoom Ali Khan (Pakistani)
- Energy Charter Secretariat
- 10 July 2014: Decision on Annulment
- 18 January 2013: In two recent arbitrations, Prof. William Park holds that wholly passive ownership is not enough for claimants to enjoy investment treaty protection
- 15 July 2014: Turkish power plant award upheld at ICSID
Notice and Disclaimer
- Even though every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information in this post, Mena Chambers does not assume any responsibility for any actual or perceived inaccuracies.
- In case of any missing information or errors, please send us an e-mail.